A number of local volunteer organisations could really use help. Here are some examples of organisations that I know something about; you may think of others.
- Fresh Beginnings Migrant and Relief Centre – www.freshbeginnings.org. Among other things it offers advice and support on living in a new country, runs English classes, IT classes and maths classes for children.
- Citizens Colchester (part of Citizens UK) – citizensuk.org is a broad-based alliance of local organisations fighting together for social justice and the common good. The website has a large amount of information.
- St Helena Hospice – www.sthelenahospice.org.uk or call 01206 931466. There are volunteer positions in over 50 roles from working in the garden to working in the shops. For more information either look at the website or call.
- Home Start Colchester – homestartcolchester.org.uk. Offer support and friendship for families with difficulties. Volunteering here could be a very fulfilling activity for someone willing to make a considerable commitment. Best to look at the website
- The Foodbank – Colchester.foodbank.org.uk, needs warehouse volunteers, voucher co-ordinators, volunteers to meet clients and give out food parcels, chatting informally with clients.
If you’re thinking about joining any of these please let Roberta know.